Many people want to know what it is about horses that make them so wonderful as supports in the therapeutic or learning process. Here are just some reasons why horses have such profound psychological benefits for humans:
- Horses are highly intuitive, sensitive, and strong animals that, as herd animals, are oriented towards connection and relationship. Their desire to seek connection with humans can teach us about how we are in relationships and explore relational themes such as trust, respect, boundaries, power and control, vulnerability, attachment, and intimacy.
- Due to their size, beauty, and power they evoke emotions in humans that then become available to explore in sessions.
- Horses model behaviour that is important for human health and wellbeing including good boundaries, awareness, living in the present moment, clear and assertive communication, and different forms of leadership relationships.
- They are highly perceptive and can pick up on subtle changes in humans and their environment and react to these subtle changes. In doing so, they provide feedback to us through their own behaviour which helps us increase our self-awareness.
- Horses are authentic, non-judgmental, and offer an acceptance that is different to other people.